Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mrs. Invisible

Apparently, its almost the end of National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week (September 13-19).  Many people are doing this '30' things bit, and you can copy and paste your very own here .
I should explain that my part in this community doesn't exist.  It's even of less than the anaphylaxis support groups, and we all know the hall of shame I walk every day for that one.  I'm guessing that by November, I should have some energy to dive in. I rely on the support of others to get me through each week, and my navigation skills change depending on how well I am feeling.  I have been out of my house 5 days in a row.  I can't even tell you what this feels like.  Oh...wait. I can.  I was passing by someone in the grocery store and finally had a clear description of how Laundry detergent affects me. 

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know


1. The illness I live with is: Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:  2010

3. But I had symptoms since:  2009

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is:  Searching for affordable organic personal care products that work.

5. Most people assume:  These are allergies.

6. The hardest part about mornings are:  Get moving even though I haven't fully recovered from the day before.  Also, people are their 'cleanest' in the mornings ie. clean clothes. hair products, just sprayed perfume.

7. My favorite medical TV show is:  I don't know about favourite, but I follow Grey's Anatomy.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is:  My computer.

9. The hardest part about nights are:  Falling asleep.  My mind constantly races, worrying about the exposures I will have while getting groceries, visiting Sebastian's school etc.

10. Each day I take __ pills and vitamins.  Four.

11. Regarding alternative treatments I:  I am absolutely open to all/any alternative treatment.  Unfortunately I am absolutely broke.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: No pondering this one.  Visible.

13. Regarding working and career:  The last time I worked, I got out of my car and approached the building where the janitor was cleaning with something equivalent to chlorine and bleach.  I turned around, and drove home. No explanation.

14. People would be surprised to know:  I smile.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been:  I really have no control over how I will feel each day.  I might think things will be great, and then open my window, and and get a whiff of whatever is blowing out of the neighbor's dryer vent. 

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was:  Sell lemonade with my children (4 hours).

17. The commercials about my illness: None as yet.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is:  Standing next to people, driving at night, feeling sexy.

19. It was really hard to have to give up:  Make-up.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Isolation.  Free membership, and I am the president of this club.

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Please don't make me imagine such a day.  It is too painful.

22. My illness has taught me: So much.  I am now a conscious tenant on this planet, paying close attention to what enters my body.

23. One thing people say that gets under my skin is:  Just one?  How about two. Getting a phone call to let me know that 'Tide' is on sale. Reminding me that my hair is brittle/dry and looks awful, as if I was trying to go for this look. 

24. But I love it when people:  Make an effort to educate themselves.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is:  "Keep Calm and Carry On."

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: I wouldn't say anything. This group of sufferer's is a strange one.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is:  No surprises.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was:  In terms of going chemical free?  No one yet.  Sally and Jaime have offered to help though. 

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because:  I'm actually not involved, I'm just filling out this questionnaire, and might post an update on Face book.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel:  Really, really good.

No comments: