Monday, December 20, 2010

Leaky Gut Syndrome Continued.....

Okay, so I'll continue where I left off.  

The appointment.  

I knew we were definitely going to be discussing this mess for more than an hour. 

We spoke for over 2 hours, but I was only billed for 1 1/2.  

$300.00....YIKES!!! 

This wasn't part of the plan.  I didn't have the money to pay for an hour. Where was I going to find $100 more dollars? 

I know, I know....why in the heck didn't you just hang up?  

When someone wants to explore the condition that has destroyed your life, and come up with a possible plan to help you get better, you do not simply 'end the call'.  

Seriously though, Dr. La Valley was thorough.  

The ironic part is that I read about Leaky Gut everyday other day.  Almost every child with Autism has either a vitamin deficiency, dysbiosis, food allergies, or Leaky Gut. The parents that claim this doesn't affect their child just haven't had testing done yet. 

I'm not too proud to admit this was me at one point in my life.  

How could I have been reading this all along, and not recognize the symptoms in myself?  I guess I was heavily focused on Chemical Sensitivity, as it has the greatest impact on my day to day life.  

After the why's and how's were answered...we discussed the when's.  2011 is already spoken for with this diet.  

Dr. LaValley's version of a low fermentation diet takes it up a notch and does not include the words limit or avoid.  I will can not eat anything with sugar.  No fruit, jams, NO SUGAR.  No dairy, or any products that can ferment, and no products containing yeast.

There is also a list of much needed supplements I will start taking.  I'm going to use whatever we have in the cupboard which now looks something like this.


     

The icing on the cake was when he suggested Dr. Ohhira Probiotics.  I have been researching these bad boys ever since Kris Carr mentioned them at Crazy Sexy Life.  I love this site.  It's easy.....and I need me some easy these days.  

This drastic change in eating habits, coupled with the cost of supplements means I am taking December and January to save money and email Heather questions everyday. 

I am unclear about a lot of it.

But this is really great news.  

I'm happy.....well not happy, but relieved. 

I feel like I am taking the first small steps to regaining my health.  Hoping every night that the cause of MCS is simply a symptom and that Leaky Gut was the underlying condition which caused so much inflammation throughout my body.  

If nothing else, this whole endeavour has taught me to eat clean, live clean, and takes thing slowly.. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tawnya. Just had to post. I've been searching for answers myself and I'm on Dr. Lavalley's low fermentation diet as well. It makes sense to me, but the Nystatin doesn't make me sick, ie. no die-off reactions. I started Flucozanole today, so we'll see. I have lots of inflammation, and a torn shoulder that won't heal due to the inflammation. Just wanted to connect. Hope you're well.

Anonymous said...

I just realized how long ago you posted this and am wondering how the anti-fungal treatment worked. If you're still working on it and on the specific diet? I have some great food suggestions as well. Have you heard of kitcheri? (oh so easy on the digestive system and very nutritious and delicious) Fresh organic homemade ghee? (Very healing to the gut lining along with a host of other benefits). Peace.

Tawnya said...

What? Who are you? Where are you? Will you marry me and take care of me and make all of my foods? lol OMG, I'm so sorry, but the odds of even communicating with someone going through something similar is so rare.

I'm still on the diet, and finished the second round of diflucan. Ran out of money and cannot get any other supplements, but hoping the yeast just give up and go away. I think they are still there, but am very used to the diet now and open to any/all suggestions. My personal email is tawnyastates@hotmail.com I would love to talk protocol and get new ideas :).

Anonymous said...

I may consider marrying you if I were into the ladies and not already married myself, haha.. I'll send you a personal email later today. So glad you posted back so soon! xx

Unknown said...

Hi Tawnya,

Im 21 years old and Ive been on this diet twice with dr levalley and today I am thinking of starting it over again. i have a problem sticking with this diet and I hate that I can't!
Just wondering where the diet ever took you? did it help? i may just keep reading your blog to find out.
I suffer mainly with chronic stomach problems.

Tawnya said...

Hi Jessie, Thank You so much for commenting. I am feeling really down today, and gross....and obese. I needed to hear that someone else struggles with this diet. Things were great (while on it), and shortly afterwards, but once I got back into the swing of things all of the symptoms returned. I don't have bowel movements, I've gained a lot of weight, and I'm pretty sure all I've caused is Nystatin and Diflucan resistant yeast. My son is going on the GAPS diet so I think I'm doing it with him. I've seen another doctor since that post but I didn't write about the new protocol. It's a lot less restrictive and less expensive. Check back tomorrow as I will write this evening and include links which might offer some help. Take Care and I won't give up if you don't ;).