Sunday, March 13, 2011

On My Way

Alright it's..time to talk about this damn no sugar, yeast, nuts, seeds, dairy, soy diet.  At first I was thinking..."If I just continue to read the Nystatin Reviews and stalk the Facebook/yahoo groups reading what those currently on this type of diet wrote about the life altering changes.....it won't be so bad.".......Ummm...yeah,.....that's it.  Keep dreaming That's all I will need.  So like I mentioned, I had a few things purchased, and decided to dive in. I got the 'dive' part correct :).

First Attempt. 
I went to bed the night before with no real plan.  I wanted to begin on a Sunday.  That was my only plan.  I think I purchased eggs, and water.  A failure to plan is a plan to....I get it, I get it.  I took my Nystatin,Glutamine powder and Fish Oil.  This placed me in a state of stomach pain, nausea, and later on...hunger.  I ate eggs, plain oatmeal, more eggs, and more oatmeal.  You can see where this is going.  By the end of the day I figured I must be doing something wrong with my dosages.  I was....then I cried, caved, and stopped.

Second Attempt.
Clearly I needed reinforcement or at the very least, an idea of what I could eat. I can understand how this sounds ridiculously stupid. "What in the heck does she mean, she doesn't know what to eat?  Just don't eat anything with sugar or yeast dummy!"  I found this site and purchased the downloadable cookbook.  I have nothing more to say about this matter.  So I think I'm armed with delicious very basic recipes, one bad 'first time', and a mission to live...how could I fail this time?  The short answer is that we went on a road trip.  There is nothing you can take with you to eat.  I didn't have enough time to get to the Bulk Barn to purchase my 4-6 allotted almonds that I had intended to make last for the entire day.....can you see why people lose weight on this diet?  It's not because they are eating healthy....it's because they aren't eating!    By 6pm, I had withered away to nothing.  Okay,I'm exaggerating, but I felt like one of my 75 pound thighs fell to 73 pounds (oh the horror!) and I felt terrible.  I cried, caved, and ate bread.

So here I stand.  I know two things now.  First thing is that for this to work, I need to cook a week in advance.  Soups, stews, rice with veggies.  Notice there is no 'etc'?  That's the extent of it.  Second thing is that I cannot go mad trying to think about substitutions.  There is no substitution for sugar, and I'm not going to try to sweeten my plain oatmeal with 17 packets of Xylitol, or make a pancake with whole wheat flour, goats milk and no butter, or maple syrup. I must relinquish the fact that this is how it has to be for a while.  Oh dear Lord, I just thought of BBQ season and hamburgers.....big juicy hamburgers without a bun or BBQ sauce and condiments.  Okay, I'm still a work in progress.  I did email a stranger in a desperate attempt for support.  This is what she replied regarding day 2 of the diet:

Did you read Twilight? It's like being a vampire who isn't allowed to eat humans, and humans are surrounding you everywhere.  It's torture =) Stay strong! Veronica

I later learned that Veronica threw herself off a bridge.  Actually that's not true at all entirely true, but it would make for a great story!

No comments: